Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception, Syracuse, NY
Although the concepts behind the existing system were sound, out-of-date lighting equipment was delivering as much glare as actual useable light.
Originally built as St. Mary’s Church in 1874, this church was selected to become a Cathedral after the Roman Catholic Diocese of Syracuse was established in 1887. The designation and greater functionality led to an expansion and name change in 1910. Although enhancements to the space continued over the years, including significant renovations in the 1950s and 1980s, the existing lighting was not complementing the architecture, nor was it fully supporting liturgical celebrations and other events in the space.
Rambusch reviewed the existing system and recommended four essentials that would comprise a new lighting system:
- downlighting for reading and congregational participation
- architectural uplighting to illuminate the ceiling and upper structure
- accent lighting for areas of significance such as the altar, the lectern, Stations of the Cross, shrines, etc.
- new decorative lighting in the archways between the nave and side aisles for a sense of space and elegance
The new lighting equipment, which uses LED sources, was made in the Rambusch Jersey City Workshops. It dramatically reduces power consumption and saves maintenance costs, but more importantly, the new system’s ability to modulate light via dimming programs will effectively support the various liturgies and events that take place in the Cathedral.